A detailed guide for buying the best dehumidifier for closet in 2022
Last updated on: July 1, 2022.
Want the best dehumidifier for your closet? Read this before buying.
A common area that most homes miss out on tracking excess moisture is closets. A closet or wardrobe is an easy breeding ground for mold, mildew, and other allergens that can wreak your clothes, home, and health. Thankfully, dehumidifiers can help you with this battle. Here we have a list of units from which you can pick what you think will make the best dehumidifier for closet at your home. Let us get started.
Why do closets have moisture?
Closets have excess moisture content in them since the airflow is restricted and the humidity in the environment is trapped there. Closed closets especially have no room for air movement and hence the dark and enclosed area becomes a hub for moisture issues.
What does a closet dehumidifier do?
Closet dehumidifiers will absorb from the air any excess moisture present, remove musty odors in the closet, prevent mold and mildew from spreading or growing, and keep the clothes free from dampness.
Which is the best closet dehumidifier and why?
Pro Breeze Electric Dehumidifier has been voted as the best closet dehumidifier. Let us keep reading to know why customers stand by this model.
Why should you trust us?
A complete study of the reviews helps us understand the needs of the customer better and the product itself. Since we offer what the customers experience from using the dehumidifiers, you can trust our judgement.
List Of 7 Best Closet Dehumidifiers (July 2022)
|Our Top Pick||Pro Breeze Electric Dehumidifier✦ Perfect for high humidity
✦ Energy Efficient
|Runner Up||SEAVON Electric Dehumidifier for Home✦ Efficient dehumidification
✦ Provides comfortable environment
|Budget Pick||Eva-Dry Wireless Mini Dehumidifier✦ Super dry dehumidifier
✦ No cables or batteries required
✦ 5 year warranty guarantee
|Ivation GDM30 Powerful Mid-Size Thermo-Electric Dehumidifier✦ Compact
✦ Removable water reservoir
✦ Shuts off automatically
|Pohl Schmitt Electric Dehumidifiers✦ Low Energy Consumption
✦ Peltier technology
✦ For ideal moisture setting
|MOOKA Small Dehumidifier✦ High Quality
✦ Easy To Clean
|hysure Dehumidifier✦ Energy Saving & Eco-friendly
✦ Best-fit for Small Areas
✦ Ultra quiet
Its Whisper Quiet operation makes it an ideal choice for bedrooms and offices. If you expect silent operation from a dehumidifier along with musty smell removal, and protection against mold growth or mildew growth, you should give this dehumidifier for closet a try.
Like most mini dehumidifiers, this model of close dehumidifiers also has an optimal operating temperature of 59-86°F. This means it will not operate below 41°F. Moreover, this unit functions at an output of 23W per hour, which means only using 0.55kW after running for 24 hours.
The energy-efficient design and compact size make this the best portable dehumidifier for a small space. It could either be a shoe closet or even a laundry room. You can depend on this model to efficiently extract moisture from the air for not just larger closets but even for kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, RV, travel trailer, garage, or cabinets.
Pros and Cons Of Pro Breeze Dehumidifier:
1. Effective in controlling excess moisture and musty smell for small rooms and larger closets.
2. Delivers control over high humidity levels in the placed area.
3. Covers an area of up to 2200 cubic feet seamlessly.
4. Offers whisper-quiet operation and energy efficiency along with excessive humidity control.
5. The design is compact, portable, and convenient for storage.
6. Helps to keep the air dry, clothes free from dampness, and odor-free when stored within the closet or wardrobe.
7. The durability of the product can be improved.
Check out this useful video to know more about Pro Breeze Mini Dehumidifier.
The ability to control excessive moisture with minimal energy expenditure is an offer hard to pass on. SEAVON is rated as the best dehumidifier for closets and any small area not just because of its design and capacity, but also due to its energy efficiency. This mini dehumidifier consumes 0.23 KW of electricity for 24 hours a day with a rated voltage and current of 9V and 2.5A. This is an excellent choice to help keep the air dry from excessive moisture.
The other added advantages of this best closet dehumidifier are its compact size that is convenient to store even in small spaces and its portable design. Its user-friendly operation that requires just one switch to turn on the device and a suitable electrical outlet to connect it, makes this a good choice for relative humidity and musty odor control for small closets, walk-in closets, laundry rooms, bathrooms, and other areas with limited spaces and resources. If these are the features that you are looking for from the dehumidifier for your closet or wardrobe, you can look further into the reviews available before purchasing the product.
Pros and Cons Of SEAVON Electric Dehumidifiers:
1. Good choice of a thermo-electric dehumidifier to extract moisture from a small area
2. Perfect choice for small closets (even a shoe closet), small rooms, bathrooms, RV, etc.
3. It can turn moist warm air into humid-free air.
4. Protects clothes from closet mold, mildew growth, musty odor, dampness.
5. Helps maintain relative humidity level by extracting moisture 11.8 oz from the air per day.
6. Can cover an area of up to 2200 cubic feet effectively.
7. Has Auto-Shut Off feature to prevent water tank overflows.
8. User-friendly design, compact model, One switch operation, portable, LED light indicator.
9. Energy-efficient design.
10. Thermo-electric dehumidifier owing to the Peltier technology for silent operation.
Although most non-electrical rechargeable dehumidifiers contain toxic material as their moisture absorber, this model guarantees you that it is mess-free, spill-free, non-toxic, child-safe, and pet safe. It comes with an absorbing capacity of up to 6 oz which is perfect for closet use and small rooms. The silica gel beads (the desiccant materials) in this unit can last for 20 to 30 days, after which they can be recharged.
The absolutely convenient and compact design (which does not require you to hunt for a power outlet), makes it easy to regulate high humidity levels on the go. It can be hanged in an RV, travel trailer, car, bathroom, or any small area that needs to regulate its moisture level. It could also be a suitable choice for a larger closet, based on the area coverage. You can protect your clothes from mold growth, musty odors, dampness, etc., with this best renewable dehumidifier.
Pros and Cons Of Eva Dry Wireless Mini Dehumidifier:
1. Rechargeable closet dehumidifier without the need for batteries or an electrical outlet.
2. Mess-free and spill-free desiccant material as moisture absorber to keep high humidity level under control when closet feels damp.
3. Small size and design is easy for use and travel (for dehumidification in cars and RVs)
4. Assures an area coverage of 333 cubic feet, 6 oz moisture removal per day, and capacity to keep air dry for 20 to 30 days (after which the moisture absorber needs to be recharged).
5. Energy-efficient, non-toxic silica gel, child safe, pet safe, cordless, no batteries required.
6. 5 years warranty on purchase of the product
The other additional features that make this model appreciated among other closet dehumidifiers are its Auto Shut Off feature, LED light indicator, and lightweight design that makes it easy to be moved across to any space. Is this model what your home requires from closet dehumidifiers? Look further at the details and reviews of the product before you make the purchase.
Pros and Cons Of Ivation Thermoelectric Dehumidifier:
1. Provides good relative humidity level maintenance for small rooms.
2. Can cover an area of up to 2200 cubic feet, removing 20 oz of water per day.
3. Compact size that is portable and easy to store.
4. Thermoelectric Peltier technology gives extremely silent operation.
5. Removes growth of mold and mildew, and musty smells from smaller closets.
The compact size of the device is easy to move around to any location of the house. It is indeed a good pick for small areas with low ventilation like closets, RVs, trailers, bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchens, etc. You can use this mini dehumidifier without the concern of disturbance. Its advanced Peltier technology guarantees silent operation at all times. Additionally, this model works on minimal energy consumption.
Pros and Cons of Pohl Schmitt Electrical Dehumidifier:
1. Highly efficient design to protect damp closet against moisture issues.
2. Energy efficiency guaranteed.
3. Silent operation with Peltier technology.
4. Capacity to remove 10 ounces of water per day in an area of 2200 cubic feet.
5. Easy to maintain design with 500 ml water reservoir.
The thermoelectric Peltier cooling technology makes this closet dehumidifier a silent operator; making it ideal for bedrooms and offices. With an LED light indicator and Auto Shut Off feature, this closet dehumidifier can be left for operation unattended. The water tank and other parts of the unit are also easy to clean, mess, and spill-free.
Pros and Cons of Mooka Dehumidifier:
1. An excellent closet dehumidifier that can effectively cover an area of 220 square feet.
2. Best dehumidifier for a closet that is lightweight, easy to be moved, and offers silent operation.
3. Easy to maintain.
4. User-friendly design.
5. Has Auto Shut Off feature and LED light indicator.
The optimal working condition of this closet dehumidifier is 86℉, 80%RH. It can effectively remove 300ml of excess moisture from the air every day, covering an area of 1200 cubic feet. The water tank that comes with this mini dehumidifier can hold up to 700 ml of water.
The other additional benefits of the closet dehumidifier are silent operation, energy efficiency, the Auto Shut Off feature, and user-friendly design. Moreover, the model also comes with a great warranty policy, of replacing and refund, that you cannot miss.
Pros and Cons of Hysure Dehumidifier:
1. 700 ml water tank capacity with the ability to remove 300 m of excess moisture daily.
2. Can cover an area of 1200 cubic feet.
3. Comes with an Auto Shut Off feature, Peltier technology for quiet functioning, and more.
Top Pick: Pro Breeze Electric Dehumidifier
✔ Effective in controlling excess moisture and musty smell for small rooms and larger closets.
✔ Delivers control over high humidity levels in the placed area.
✔ Covers an area of up to 2200 cubic feet seamlessly.
✔ Offers whisper-quiet operation and energy efficiency along with excessive humidity control.
✔ The design is compact, portable, and convenient for storage.
✔ Helps to keep the air dry, clothes free from dampness, and odor-free when stored within the closet or wardrobe.
✔ The durability of the product can be improved.
Runner Up: SEAVON Electric Dehumidifiers for Home
✔ Good choice of a thermoelectric dehumidifier to extract moisture from a small area.
✔ Perfect choice for small closets (even a shoe closet), small rooms, bathrooms, RV, etc.
✔ It can turn moist warm air into humid-free air.
✔ Protects clothes from closet mold, mildew growth, musty odor, dampness.
✔ Helps maintain relative humidity level by extracting moisture of 11.8 oz from the air per day.
✔ Can cover an area of up to 2200 cubic feet effectively.
✔ Has Auto-Shut Off feature to prevent water tank overflows.
✔ User-friendly design, compact model, One switch operation, portable, LED light indicator.
✔ Energy-efficient design.
✔ Thermoelectric dehumidifier owing to the Peltier technology for silent operation.
Budget Pick: Eva Dry Wireless Mini Dehumidifier
✔ Rechargeable closet dehumidifier without the need for batteries or an electrical outlet.
✔ Mess-free and spill-free desiccant material as moisture absorber to keep highumidity level under control when closet feels damp.
✔ Small size and design is easy for use and travel (for dehumidification in cars and RVs)
✔ Assures an area coverage of 333 cubic feet, 6 oz moisture removal per day, and capacity to keep air dry ✔ for 20 to 30 days (after which the moisture absorber needs to be recharged).
✔ Energy-efficient, non-toxic silica gel, child safe, pet safe, cordless, no batteries required.
✔ 5 years warranty on purchase of the product.
Where to place dehumidifier in closet?
Once you have picked up the right choice of dehumidifier for the closet, the next big step is to find the perfect location for that closet dehumidifier. Based on the design and model, many closet dehumidifiers can just be placed at a central position to carry out moisture absorption evenly.
Here are few things to remember about this, whether you own battery-powered dehumidifiers or a rechargeable dehumidifier. You must always look for room to have some form of ventilation. There must be space for heat to dissipate; if not you will end up with more problems in your closet or wardrobe.
When you have the closet door closed, there is going to be increased heat build-up. But, in a walk-in closet where you have a closet door open, there can be some room for air to circulate. Non-electrical rechargeable dehumidifiers with a moisture absorber like silica gel in them will simply be able to absorb the excess moisture content that is building up in the room. But, this might not be an efficient choice for larger closet space. If you have a unit that will generate heat, you must place it at a safe distance from things that might block it.
1. How to get rid of moisture in closet naturally?
Here are few ways by which you can get rid of moisture in the closet naturally. Following these tips will help you to keep excess moisture, humidity, and the accumulation of dust and allergens at bay.
– Ensure that your closet is used to store only clean and dry items. If you have damp clothes lying around, you will end up with a damp closet. Let the clothes, shoes, linen, or anything you have in your cabinets be clean and dry.
– Remember to deep clean your closet or wardrobe regularly. Avoid clutter.
– You can use desiccants that absorb moisture to maintain a dry place. Silica gel, charcoal briquettes are some popular choices are moisture absorbers.
– Make room for ventilation possible.
– Dehumidifying the entire home to get rid of excessive humidity will reduce moisture build up in the closet naturally. You can either use a battery-powered dehumidifier or a whole house dehumidifier for your home to facilitate the process.
2. Damprid Vs Mini Dehumidifier for Closet?
Many homeowners are often caught between choosing a closet dehumidifier or DampRid for their wardrobe space.
Be it DampRid, silica gel, or any other rechargeable dehumidifier option; they certainly work out to be a less expensive option. The advantage of battery-powered dehumidifiers or rechargeable dehumidifiers is that they can be used in any space on the go. You need not hunt for electrical outlets to use these moisture absorbers.
However, electrical dehumidifiers are far more effective at handling high humidity than a moisture absorber (even if it were just a mini dehumidifier). You can also make the decision based on the various parameters involved when it comes to employing moisture control.
3. Are wardrobe dehumidifiers good?
Yes! Any small dehumidifier can be used for a closet. If your space has electrical outlets to facilitate using a small dehumidifier inside them you can try out electrical dehumidifiers. You can also try a rechargeable dehumidifier if there is no option to obtain a power supply.
4. What are closet dehumidifier bags?
Closet dehumidifier bags are another easily transferable option to handle the excess levels of moisture inside a closet. Any type of desiccant material, mostly silica gel, is filled inside closet dehumidifier bags. The silica gel can either be replaced or recharged to absorb the excess water vapor content in the area it is placed in.
Small 12V machines are also available, that use silica gel or similar moisture absorber, along with a motorised fan to draw in the vapor from the air.
With this, we have reached the end of the article. Hope you found this useful to identify the best dehumidifier for closet space.
Share with us your experiences on closet dehumidifiers, the models you have tried and tested, and their pros and cons.
About The Author
Olivia — a self-confessed air quality addict — is a home climate enthusiast, fresh air advocate, and someone with deep personal experience and knowledge about mold extermination. Her work was mentioned in countless notable humidity publications. Previously she was an editor at Mold Remediation.